RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Wednesday 13 March 2013

THE LEELA PALACE UDAIPUR INDIA

Boatman who took me across.




Something about The Leela hospitality, its so gracious and welcoming. Am sure it comes from the top. I dont know Madhu Nair, who conceptualised the spa, but I do know the lovely Lakshmi Nair and her two dynamic daughters Amruda and Aishwarya. I am told The Leela wants to create modern day palaces. And so it is.

The Leela Palace

Much has been written about the ESPA spa at The Leela in Udaipur. However beautiful the photos, they dont do it justice.

Entrance to the Spa

I was staying at the Trident in Udaipur so they sent a boat across to the Oberoi jetty to pick me up. If you are not familiar with this highly densely energised Lake Pichola, surrounded by several luxury hotels with the Queen of them all, The Taj's Lake Palace Hotel at the centre, you are missing something.

Lake Palace Hotel

The Leela Palace, Oberoi's Udaivilas and Trident, Jag Mandir, Udai Kothi, Jagat Niwas, Chunda Palace, all have stunning views of the lake.



The Spa by ESPA is superbly sited overlooking the Lake and offers two kinds of experiences. A historic one, which is cosy, intimate and full of royal memorabilia in the heritage part of the building and the other, is the modern tented version overlooking the lake with private tents and swimming pools. Both were equally tempting but I chose to go for the tented Palace Suite so I could have a swim before my treatment and stare into the mesmerizing Lake. I mean where else in the world can you have this experience? It was a pleasant sunny day and the lake shone like a glittering diamond. Honestly I could have sat there by the pool for the full 2hrs allocated for my treatment which was more precious than spending time in their Aroma Steam Rooms inlaid with amethyst crystals and anthracite!


Yes mesmerised!






I was recommended to try their signature treatment, Abhyanga, Shirobhyanga and Shrirodhara for 120 mins. I have to clarify here that ESPA do not claim these treatments to be authentic Ayurvedic treatments. They call them “Ayurveda inspired”. Which means the oils have some Ayurvedic herbs and definitely very Ayurvedic sounding names but do not contain the same medicinal properties (nor the smell) of original medicinal oil.

The Palace Suite

Foot ritual ingredients
Babita my therapist


We started with the ESPA signature foot ritual. An exfoliating scrub of sea salt with algae was rubbed gently over my feet and then a restorative bath oil was used to wash my feet. Hmm! Love the TLC!
       
A View
 The treatment bed was already heated with an electric blanket and was oh so cozy! My therapist tucked me in with the right adjustments to the bed knowing exactly where I needed to be lifted and supported. The ESPA Ashwagandha, energizing body oil, was poured over me and Babitas hands moved in the familiar strokes of an Abhyanga massage. But not for too long. Since this is only an “Ayurvedic inspired” treatment, the strokes changed after a while and some pressure points and Swedish strokes took over. Nevertheless her touch, pressure and the energy of her hands told the story of an experienced therapist. Next she moved to my face cleaning it with a hydrating cleansing milk.  She then applied a patchouli and neroli based replenishing face oil to gently remove the dry skin and give my face a shine. Finishing it off with a floral spa fresh spray and Voila! My face was glowing!



Shirobhyanga was the next step. I loved this Pink Hair and Scalp Mud which she massaged into my scalp and which acts as an oil as well as a conditioner for the hair. It’s a natural product rich in minerals from red and white clay. 15 mins of that then to the best part,m the Shirodhara.

Of course I am used to the authentic Kerala ones so this seemed a little mild. The therapist told me they were using “normal” oil, whatever that’s supposed to mean, but I gathered that the treatment was just to give you the relaxing feeling of the oil pouring on your head. It does not have the benefits of an authentic Shirodhara, which is just as well, since treatments like this should not be chosen out of a menu but recommended by a doctor. So that’s what is an “Ayurveda inspired” treatment. That’s how Ayurveda is becoming trendy. That’s how people are being introduced to Ayurveda and why not?

It was a lovely boatride back to the other shore and reminiscent of the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. If you've been to the spa there you know that it involves a boat ride too!





Meanwhile back in Delhi Atsu was shooting his AW 13 collection for the Leela Palace magazine! Connected in many ways………….see my embroidery in his clothes!



Thank you Tamir and Graham for this magical experience.

RECOMMENDATION:  A little more education for the therapists on the product range and composition of the scrumptious ESPA products. 

1 comment:

  1. The VLCC DAY SPA is designed to enhance your wellness quotient with supreme quality treatments that
    Are custom made to cater to your specific needs Spa in India

    ReplyDelete