RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Tuesday 26 March 2013

UDAIVILAS, UDAIPUR, INDIA



Hotel lobby
Marble lotus at entrance of Hotel

 In 2008 when Oberoi parted ways with Banyan Tree Spas, I thought no Indian spas could meet the standards of their well-trained therapists. Its four years hence and Christine Hays has proved me wrong.

To describe Oberoi Udaivilas as a luxury hotel is an understatement. The backdrop of the Aravalli hills and the romantic banks of Lake Pichola combine to create a magical setting for this uber luxury resort and spa. 
Oberoi Jetty


















The hotel sprawls across marble laid lotuses, swimming pools, private gardens, amphitheatres and private gazebos. Wherever you look, the sight is breathtaking and a photographers delight. With domes, copulas turrets and arches at every corner, it is simply majestic.
Words don’t do it justice.

Hotel turrets

One of the best overviews of the hotel is from this small hunting lodge called Bara Mahal, which is a hidden treasure by itself. The Maharajas original caretaker, Roop Singh, still looks after it. Both Roop Singh and Bara Mahal reek of history, especially when he brings alive the intricate murals by narrating royal hunting stories from the past.

Legendary Roop Singh 


Roma Basumatary, who happened to be from my hometown in Assam, showed me around this award winning spa. The expansive space of the spa lends itself to luxurious rejuvenation and ultimate pampering. Spectacular views of the Lake Pichola and the City Palace adorn the tall glass doors of the lake view suites. I had just completed a week’s rigorous Yoga programme with a group of 60 people and my body was tired. I was excited to be treated in this royal manner.

Roma Spa Manager
Spa Pool 
Roma went through the menu with me and suggested I take a Balinese Treatment. The menu described it as a deep pressure massage using a variety of techniques including skin rolling, deep tissue manipulation, gentle stretching and reflexology. It promised to leave me refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated. Sounded perfect and just what my body needed.

Definitely one thing I like about the Oberoi spas, is their loyalty to India in their choice of treatment oils. Kama and Forest Essentials are their brands of choice. In fact their website claims "Oberois spa recipes feature only the finest natural ingredients, often local to the resort and the Oberoi Group are committed to remaining true to the Asian tradition of respect for the environment".

However I did see a range of Hungary's famous Omorovicza product range (made from the mineral rich Hungarian healing waters) that they use for their facials.




The spa suites are geographically separated into lake view rooms and otherwise. Although the Lake view rooms were grand and splendid, for some reason I preferred the intimate energy of the inner rooms. The room I was shown was warm, cosy and welcoming.

My cosy treatment room
A lake view suite
The same Lake view suite but it was so large I couldnt capture it in the same frame!
I started with a steam in the wet area but found the temperature too high to stay in it for too long. I wasn’t able to adjust the heat so came out and was met by my therapist, Norzin from Bhutan. I followed her to the interior wing (it was a bit of a walk!) to my treatment room.

Norzin. See that gorgeous smile?
The room was already prepared for me with the foot ritual ready to go and the bed temperature just right.  Norzin was trained in India and Bhutan. Christine has the knack of being creative and innovative. I remember her telling me she had scoured the mountains of Bhutan in search of good therapists last year. Norzin is a product of this venture. It was really nice for me to experience what Christine had worked so hard towards.
My feet were dipped in a bowl of warm water with floating rose petals and scrubbed with rose crystal salt. 
For my body Norzin used the Invigorating Oil, with a base of almond and grape seed with geranium, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils. For a glow in my face, she used Kama's Kumkumadi Oil and for my hair the Bringadhi Oil.

What can I say about the Balinese treatment except that it was, as promised, extremely rejuvenating and relaxing. A combination of strokes that make up this invigorating massage, pulling and stretching my muscles exactly as my body wanted, I was in royal heavenly bliss.  Norzins personality along with her touch is something I long for today, back in Delhi, after a long day at my embroidery factory!

Congratulations Christine for a great job and thank you!

RECOMMENDATION: The distance between the two segments of treatment rooms was inconvenient in that, after the steam, I had to walk a long distance in my gown, through a public area, to reach my inner treatment room. After the treatment, my clothes were still in the steam room so I had to hand Norzin my locker keys to fetch my clothes.
The spa space could be redesigned to give a more cohesive energy to the experience. 


Now that room up there would make a nice treatment room!

















2 comments: