RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Saturday 4 February 2012

ESPA AT LEELA PALACE NEW DELHI






The Hottest Hotel in New Delhi.



Buzzing with people EVERY TIME I have been there!


This was my second experience with ESPA (the first being with The Peninsula in New York). My friend Ann Scott of Ann Scott Associates arranged this special invitation for me. (Thank you Ann!).
Of course, as all things special, the spa is not open to the public. But if you want to book in to the hotel even for a weekend just to experience the spa it is well worth it. I recommend the club floor and go for the ladies special with a lady butler to boot.



The spa interiors is spectacular. Designed by Jeffrey Wilkes, its designed at two levels. The stone-carved wall panels, the wooden flooring and paintings on the walls are warm and welcoming. Ambience definitely serene.


The staff are polite helpful and knowledgeable about their offerings. ESPA have extensive training programmes for their staff which shows in their work. The lower level has the the lounge, fitness studio, changing rooms, the hydro area and the spa cafe serving healthy options (I tried the Aloe Vera juice which definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I am quite fussy about my juices!).


On the upper level it has seven treatment rooms, another beautiful lounge area and a finishing studio. In ordinary language this means a manicure and pedicure centre which I believe they have plans to extend into a full fledged beauty salon.

I wanted to experience something different and unusual. I scoured through the menu and finally decided to try the ESPA version of Abhyanga. I have previously tried many, many different Abhyanga treatments in a variety of places but I chose this because I wanted to know how ESPA (a UK based company) is selling "Ayurveda-inspired" treatments in a fusion form. Were they bringing coal to Newcastle?




My therapist was a beautiful peaceful lady called Dickie. She was very attentive, caring and asked all the right questions. She even preempted some of my needs. The treatment was interesting in that it definitely started with some long abhyanga strokes. I was told the oil used was also "Ayurveda-inspired" so I wasnt very clear what it contained. The massage was very well suited to my needs as she continually asked me for feedback in order to enhance my experience. Very good overall experience, I would say a mixture of Abhyanga, Swedish and Deep Tissue.

What I didnt realise is, that all this while, my therapist was diagnosing my "dosha". After I enjoyed the steam and sauna, she handed me a card which stated that my Dosha for the day was Vata. She was spot on - I AM a Vata personality and the card described me as "quick thinking, slender physique, vibrant, enthusiastic, flexible, sensitive, talkative, low appetite, light sleeper, anxious , intelligent and active. Quite accurate I would say and who says we HAVE to get our dosha diagnosed through our pulse only!!! Fusion Ayurveda anyone??












No comments:

Post a Comment