RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Thursday 4 July 2013

SPHATIKA, New York, US


New York! New York!

New York scene

What a city. If you lose your awareness for a moment, it gobbles you up!
A city tempting you from every corner, to indulge in sensory pleasure which then sucks you in to a tunnel of hedonism. It must be hard in this city to withdraw from the external stimulation, to get some quiet time and even ponder at the meaning of life.

New York scene 2

Thank goodness for the world of spas that takes you into a dream world of relaxation and peace.



Sallie Fraenkel of Spafinder introduced me to Janet League-Katzen, who owns Sphatika. Meeting Janet was an instant connection. What a beautiful soul creating a haven of peace in the centre of this hedonistic city. She certainly carries the energy of spirituality from lands far in the East!

Janet was in a temporary location when I visited her so I am not going to post too many pictures of the place although it was very homely and intimate.

An “owner-centric” spa always carries the energy of the owner. The treatment I had was unique in its content. My beautiful Japanese therapist Midori greeted me by placing a small crystal in my hands and asking me to hold in firmly in the palms of my hands while focusing on an intent.



What a nice thing to do. Especially as it was in keeping with the name Sphatika which in south Indian language signifies a crystal lingam. Janet tied that up really nicely together. I liked it.

The gesture immediately brought me inside myself and didn’t take me long to leave the sounds of the traffic and the buzz of the people of New York behind me. And I did have a strong intent to make as I was going through a transition in my life, so the ritual was very appropriate and meaningful for me.

The treatment that Janet recommended was her most elaborate and luxurious, a Lymphatic Drainage with a sauna and facial.

At first I entered a cubicle for a FAR infrared sauna.
Far Infrared Sauna
 Midori explained that this sauna was of a new carbon technology that didn’t allow the temperature to rise above the required level. I must say I sat inside this cubicle for 15 minutes holding on tightly to my intent without being at all uncomfortable. In fact I slipped into a peaceful meditation until I was beckoned out!
After this I followed Midori to the treatment room where my feet were cleaned with a citrus foot cleansing cream.
Midori, me and Janet


Sphatika have developed their own brand of spa products, which felt and smelt wonderful.




Midori started by rocking me on the table like a baby saying it was done to align my spine. Since I'd just been travelling for a month, to various parts of the US, the rocking really comforted me. I wished she wouldn’t stop. A gentle dry brushing on my body to exfoliate the skin and calm the nervous system followed this. Her brush strokes and movements accentuated the direction of the lymphatic drainage.
She then applied and massaged my body with hemp oil.

After this beautiful ritual, Midori applied a body mask on me and tucked me inside a steam canopy. That was a new experience for me where the canopy is brought to the table and tucked in all sides to allow the steam to remain in tact while at the same time leaving a gap to place your face outside the tent.
Steam canopy that enveloped me on the table
It was a really good idea not to disturb my relaxing state by having to get up and go to the steam room. Little details and add-ons like this make such a difference to holding the calm energy.

After this Midori began working on my face. First with a cleansing cream and then with a citrus hydrating facial toner. Then came the Gommage or exfoliating cream and the interesting suction tubes that allowed further clearing of the lymphatic nodes. This procedure was also new to me and very interesting.

Next was the application of a moisture mask, Pearl night serum, Rose Oil, Vitamin A night cream and another treatment serum. Wow! After being pampered by all of this my face and body were glowing!

Janets products felt so refreshing I couldn’t resist buying some facial products and because she was in  a temporary venue there was even a 20% discount. My luck!

After the 2 hour long treatment, Janet shared her crystal singing bowls with me and we had a hot drink together chatting about life in the East. Oh how I missed India!

Recommendation: The treatment was perfect so there is nothing to recommend. The experience was wholesome as it included the 'Shankalpa" or intent. The space was a temporary accommodation so not point commenting on that either.


Thank you so much Janet for being there and meeting me.

What was waiting outside for me!

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of data and keenness about saunas. I respect your standpoint along with your ideas. How often do you go to the sauna?  saunajournal.com

    ReplyDelete