RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Sunday 7 July 2013

SHIBUI SPA, GREENWICH HOTEL, NEW YORK



I first read about Shibui Spa in an American magazine called Organic Spa. The article gave a scrumptious description of the spa. Never having been to Japan, this sounded like the closest I could get to a Japanese spa experience, in the next few years!

So here I was, in the heart of downtown NYC , which, as you all know, is considered the “hip” area of New York City. Strolling down the streets with several charming and interesting bistros, jazz clubs, bars and boutiques, all interwoven in a variety of architectural delights.



Greenwich Hotel lies across the street from the famous Tribeca Film Centre owned by Robert De Niro, who also owns the hotel. Its not surprising therefore, that as soon as you walk in the front door, there is an air of exclusivity and privacy. It is speckled by smart looking New Yorkers, that could be celebrities, but Im not that good at spotting them so I may have missed Ryan Gosling (he is my current favourite!).



The spa is located in the basement and you approach it by a Japanese inspired staircase. 
Staircase

The spa entrance is dimly lit which gives you an immediate feeling of restfulness. As you enter you cant miss absorbing the Japanese flavours around you. The sense of minimilism in their aesthetics is something that grabs my imagination immediately. A little teapot here, a little fan there, I love it!




The spa menu describes the spa as such:

“To enter Shibui is to be embraced by wood, water, and stone—much of it with a storied past—and our treatments are rooted in the same simplicity and reverence for nature. The products we use are plant-based and, whenever possible, organic. Our practitioners, who are experts in ancient as well as contemporary healing techniques, approach their craft as art—with devotion, dedication, and compassion.”

I couldn’t describe it better

My therapist Frederique was American (I am saying this because for some reason I was expecting the therapists to be Japanese, I don’t know why!) and led me into the changing room. 
Here the tansu or storage cupboards and the streamlined locker cabinets were visually interesting . The Japanese make even the simple objects look aesthetic.

Towel racks

Lockers
The spa treatments had interesting names too, like Healing Birch, Drunken Lotus and Bamboo Glow. I opted for the Bamboo Glow because it used some exotic Japanese products that I wanted to experience. (apart from wanting to glow, of course!). Their choice of product brand is Red Flower who do a whole range of products using Japanese fruits, plants and scents.

Red Flower products
I was asked to take off my slippers before entering the treatment room (I liked that - all sacred places in India are shoe free) where the Ohana bamboo and gingergrass scrub was waiting for me. I loved the simplicity and zen like quality of the décor of the room. Block printed Japanese motifs on the sheets, a little teapot in the corner, a branch of twig here, little surprises everywhere.

Treatment Room
Combined with the exhilarating oils of ginger and lime, which help contour the body by stimulating blood flow and warming the skin, the scrub is enhanced with blue tansy, fir oil, sea algae and mineral rich silt to encourage cellular renewal, improve the lymphatic and circulatory systems and to leave skin silky. Now thats quite a lot of good happening to my body! After the soothing scrub I was guided to the private shower for a Yuzu sea algae wash.

On the way out to my main treatment room Frederique pointed out the unique male and female door signs to me. See if you get it!
Male

Female

 Haaaa! Little bit of humour there!

Now to the main treatment room with the traditional ofuro tub. I like my water unusually hot in the tub and glad to say they didnt disappoint me. I just dont get the point of lukewarm water. It does nothing for my bones.

Frederique prepared my drink , a cucumber cordial, and left me to soak in the Hinoki Mint Mineral Bath for 15 mins. This curative soak really did wonders for my aching body due to too much travelling in different time zones! It also helped me to relax more in preparation for the 60 min massage waiting for me!

The chosen oil for this treatment, Kinmoxei Red Flowers Wild Lime Silk Oil is a complex blend of rare kinmoxei flowers enriched in the softening oils of rice bran and monoi oil. Its said to be rich in vitamin E, anti-oxidants and fatty acids.This oil is then combined with natural silk proteins, bergamot,vetiver and wild Japanese lime to increase the blood flow for a healthy glow!




Frederique did a great job with my body. She read my spots and followed my needs rather than give me predetermined strokes. She worked on my back and shoulders with deep tissue pressure just like I like it. The rest of the body was treated to a more relaxing moisture binding massage. 60 mins went by very fast.

After this I went to relax by the charming lanternlit swimming pool and lounge under the roof of a 250-year old wood and bamboo farmhouse that has been reconstructed in the hotel by Japanese craftsmen, some of whom are Living National Treasures of Japan.





I had a cup of green tea there served to me by the lifeguard at the pool. Nice job he has. Well at least he said he loved his job. To be in Asia without actually going there!

It was great to experience this very private spa and hats off for creating such a unique space in the heart of Tribeca. Who would have thought it was possible to do that.
I was more than relaxed, I would say invigorated and ready to take on the streets of New York again!
 And oh yes, when I went out for dinner in the evening my friends told me I was glowing!

Recommendation: I would have loved to have seen Japanese therapists dressed in their traditional gear to complete the picture! ( No offence to Frederique, she was terrific!)

Thank you Sara Davis for making this possible!



1 comment: