RELAX...........

RELAX...........
oooooh! for a good treatment......

Tuesday 16 July 2013

MANDARIN ORIENTAL, PARIS, FRANCE



The pool at the spa

I like the sense of hospitality and the "Oriental-ness" of the Mandarin Oriental Group.

I was in Paris after the meditation retreat in Brittany (see post for Thalasso Therapy) for just two nights staying with my niece Usha, Claudio and her two gorgeous little girls.

Didi Lili and me

Before my appointment with the Mandarin, I met with my friend Martine Beaumont for lunch a the chic handcrafted choclatier Jean Paul Hevin's newly opened cafe in Rue St Honore and we wondered around the area doing a bit of window shopping especially at Chanel Hermes and Scervino (yes widow shopping only!).

Martine and me




















Then Martine dropped me off at he Mandarin and I wondered in to their very fancy lobby overlooking a beautiful garden which also serves as a cafe/restaurant.


The lobby

As soon as the lift opened up to the Spa the ambience changed. It felt quiet and calm . I walked through the corridor decorated with enormous plastic flowers made of sequin sheeting. Ask me I know all about sequins!


Beautiful entrance

But along the way I was surprised by the sound of a Gong! I stopped, stepped backwards and then forwards again and sure enough the gong went off again. Nice one I thought. I like the sound of this Oriental gong announcing my entrance to the spa. Super cool.

Lobby

Lateitia was my therapist and she spoke English (thank goodness).

Laetitia ready to start

Footbath tray
In true Mandarin style Laetitia was ready with my foot bath and told me I was signed in for the Oriental Essence Massage, which she explained was one of Mandarin's signature Spa Therapies. It has been specially designed for the tired traveller (thats me alright!) centering on all stress points of the body. Unlike in Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai, Mandarin Spa, Paris uses their own brand of oil which has names like Nourish, Release, Reflect etc. Laetitia used Quintessence oil blended with warming ginger and the uplifting mandarin and sacred frankincense on my body.



This was a relaxing massage so the strokes were more swedish with little of deep tissue. Although, at my request, Laetitia obliged to dig deeper along the sides of my spine. It was the perfect way to end my two month trip out of India. She topped it off by a relaxing aromatherapy treatment on my face.

The shower rooms, toileteries, towels were all very luxurious!

After the treatment, I was brought my lemongrass tea and a jellied cake (very Parisian!) to my changing room. 
Outside the treatment room I met the Spa Director Lillian Cheam and we exchanged notes and experiences from the East. We had many common connections so it was great to meet her.

Recommendation: I wish I had a lounge chair to sit and sip my tea in leisure!

Thank you Beate and Shahfreen for making this happen!



No comments:

Post a Comment